Dads Make a Difference
Mums and dads bring different things to the wellbeing of children. Dads are often more physical, flexible and have more of a give-and-take approach to play and interactions. While each parent will bring their own unique parenting style, there are some general truths that research backs up about the benefits that Dads bring to raising children.
Here’s how dads help their children:
- Being a dad who is emotionally invested and well connected is associated with better well-being, cognitive development and social competence.
- Dads who are involved, supportive, non-controlling and can be flexible when needed, significantly increase the development of child executive function (important self-control skills developed in the preschool years and lead to greater success in school years).
- Dads who more often show warmth and can set limits have children in a healthier weight range.
- Dads have greater influence on child physical activity - role modelling, taking children to sport, being a positive spectator and helping to promote physical activity with your co- parent all make a positive difference.
- Dads of ‘gifted’ sons make a difference by reflecting on and accepting their own giftedness, not forcing conformity to stereotypes, avoiding too high expectations, listening more than talking, avoiding unnecessary power struggles and laughing with them at silly mistakes.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I want to know more on being a good dad?
Did you want to get some tips from a dad on what he learnt about being a good enough dad? Check out this video found on the Better Dads website (betterdads.com) - Nicho Plowman ‘The Importance of Being Great Dads While Our Children Are Young”.
Where can I go for more information and support?
Wellbeing and Mental Health
Mental Health Services
Are you, or someone you know, feeling overwhelmed, worried or sad either during pregnancy or soon after the birth of a baby? If so, this could be Perinatal Mood Disorder (PMD). PMD is very common – one in five women and one in ten men experience it as new parents. However help is at hand because Karitane has a great wealth of experience helping families in this situation.Learn More